Arts Center offers some fun camps this summer
The Black Mountain Center for the Arts is taking registration for four weeks of summer camp where boys and girls can sing and dance their cares away.
Summer Sizzle 2018 will feature half-day, themed camps for pre-schoolers and elementary-age children that focus on music and dance.
Dance instructor Amy Maze designs, plans and leads the four weeks of summer camp for children ages 3-9. Maze leads the dance portion of the day, and musician Kylie Brown leads the music portion. Campers split the morning between music and dance, with a little down time for snack and craft activities that reinforce the camp’s theme. Family and friends are invited to a performance on the last day of camp.
“Our summer camps are full of activities to keep your camper engaged while learning and having fun at the same time,” Maze said. “They learn so much and get so excited about the end-of-camp show. Last year we added more community elements like having the fairies visit to give the campers fairy hair and the Black Mountain Police Department visiting during Superhero week. I plan to do special things like that this year as well.”
The cost for all camps is $125 per camper. Register by calling Black Mountain Center for the Arts at 669-0930 or visiting BlackMountainArts.org. Here are the camps, with the art center’s descriptions.
- “Off To Neverland” (preschool): This week we will be traveling to Neverland to play with Pirates and Fairies. We will set sail on the magical sea and sprinkle our pixie dust all across the land. Join us for a week of magic and make-believe fun!
- “World Of Dance” (elementary): Fill your passport as you dance around the world! Campers will experience a variety of styles and learn history as they travel the world. First stop, Paris to learn the origins of ballet and learn the Can-Can, then off to Ireland for some Irish Jigs! Next we'll head east to India to learn Bollywood, and our last stop is Africa to learn the origins of tap, jazz and hip hop.
- “Jungle Jazz” (preschool): Welcome to our jazzy jungle! This week campers will explore the jungle beat with their dancing feet. We will march with the monkeys, slither with the snakes, and leap with the lions. Your camper is going to have a roaring good time!
- “Broadway Bound” (elementary): Start spreading the news! This camp will explore musical theater dance while learning fun facts about popular shows, including Matilda, Hairspray, Cats and Shrek. Your camper will light up the stage with their singing, dancing and acting.
- “Superheroes” (preschool): What’s your super power? We will join our forces for an action-packed week. Campers will even get to meet real superheroes in our community! We will jump, fly, whirl and twirl all while learning and having fun!
- “#dancecamp2k18” (elementary): Grab your BFFs, and get ready to mix up your summer! You will learn the coolest #moves + #grooves in this super fun camp! In addition to tons of dance moves, campers will participate in fun activities related to style choreography and performance!
July 30-Aug. 3
- “Hip Hop Hooray” (preschool): Summer is time to learn some cool new hip hop moves. Dancers will explore the world of hip hop dance for a week of funky fun! Your high energy dancers will love the funky moves and hip hop grooves. Hooray for summer sun and Hip Hop fun!
- “Hip Hop Hooray” (elementary): Same class description as the preschool camp, just for older kids.