Valley Rewind: Mountain View Baptist Church
This undated photograph shows Mountain View Baptist Church in its original location in the North Fork Valley before the watershed. As one of the oldest churches in all of Buncombe County, Mountain View Baptist has a deep history in the Valley community. The original church, named United Baptist Church of Christ, was established on Wallace Pond in 1828. Wallace Pond was located on the North Fork River right beside the old wagon road that led up to Mount Mitchell. In 1889, the second church was built to the east of the river on a hillside. At this time, the name was changed to Mountain View Baptist Church. This particular structure eventually burned in 1940, but was rebuilt of native stone on the same site. However, by 1951, the newly proposed Asheville Watershed threatened to put both the church and its cemetery completely underwater. As a result, Mountain View Baptist Church agreed to a new site overlooking the valley and high above water. This effort required that all the grave sites had to be relocated as well as a large number of unmarked graves that were also discovered during the moving process. A building was erected on the new property using the stones from the old church. In 2004, a new sanctuary was built to accommodate a growing congregation. The site of the original Mountain View Baptist Church is now underwater in Asheville Watershed’s North Fork Reservoir.