Valley Rewind: Asheville Farm School, 1910
Nov. 17 is International Students Day, an opportunity to highlight an institution that was historically dedicated to agriculture in the Swannanoa Valley. This 1910 photograph features the Asheville Farm School, which officially opened in 1894 with 25 male students and 3 professional staff. The school then went through several transformations into a junior college that partnered with the Dorland-Bell School of Hot Springs, turning the institution into the Warren Wilson Vocational Junior College and bringing high school age girls to campus. After WWII, the public education system in North Carolina improved and changed dramatically. The last high school class graduated in 1957. The school remained a junior college until March 1966. At that time, it was established as the four year Warren Wilson College and offered six majors. Today, Warren Wilson College has grown into a contemporary liberal arts institution; however, it still remains dedicated to its roots of community engagement, work programs, and emphasis on original student research.