Valley Rewind: Beacon Manufacturing potluck, 1940
In the Swannanoa Valley, there is hardly a greater symbol of the word "family" than Beacon Manufacturing. This 1940 photograph shows a potluck party that was held at the Beacon factory in Swannanoa. The plant, which was a massive 1 million square foot undertaking in the 1920s, became a pillar of the Swannanoa community. Beacon Manufacturing was in operation from 1936 until it closed its doors for good in April 2002. Tragically, the factory burned down in 2003 and the entire building was destroyed. However, to this day, former employees and their loved ones frequently and fondly remember Beacon as being a familial unit where everyone had each other’s backs.