Valley Rewind: Asheville Farm School in 1897
This photograph from about 1897 shows a view of the Asheville Farm School. The Asheville Farm School was established in 1894 by the United Presbyterian Church as a boarding school for Appalachian boys. The school taught agricultural sciences. Promotional material from the early 1900s boasted that attendees at the school became “farmers, dairymen, poultry raisers, pig experts, orchard workers and truck gardeners” as they assumed their varied work roles at the school. Students who could not pay full tuition cared for crops and livestock through the summer months in order to work out their tuition. In 1942, the Asheville Farm School merged with the Dorland-Bell residential school, near Hot Springs, to become Warren Wilson College.