Valley Rewind: Black Mountain's first self-serve super market in late 1940s
This photograph from the Swannanoa Valley Museum and History Center’s archives shows Black Mountain Super Market and Freezer Lockers, Black Mountain’s first self-service grocery. Located on Montreat Road, this business opened in December, 1948. The grocery also offered meat processing, curing rooms and bulk storage for fruits and vegetables. At-home freezers were not available until the mid-1950s and there was high demand for the freezer lockers at the super market; most had already been rented by the time the business officially opened. This building, now with a brick facade, is still standing just northeast of where Penelope Street meets Montreat Road.