Valley Rewind: Melton's Meat Market on Cherry Street in 1920s Black Mountain
Special to Black Mountain News
This circa 1920 photograph from the Swannanoa Valley Museum and History Center’s archives shows an interior view of Melton’s Meat Market on Cherry Street in Black Mountain. Butcher John Mitchell Melton (1869-1952) stands on the right, with his son Harvey Dula Melton (1897-1959) standing to the left. Both John and Harvey worked as butchers for their entire careers. The market is thought to have also had a Sutton Avenue location circa 1910 near where the Grey Eagle monument stands today.