Owen High girls soccer falls to Pisgah for 2nd time in close contest

Ezra Maille
Black Mountain News
Owen senior Mattie Lehman launches a long pass upfield against Pisgah High on March 16.

The Owen Warlassies girls soccer team lost on home turf to Pisgah High for the second time this season on March 16. 

Following a scoreless first half, Pisgah pulled out a 2-1 victory. 

"Our team is moving in the right direction and starting to see the picture that we're trying to paint," said coach David Fiest. "I can slowly see that we're focusing in on the right aspects to put this puzzle together."

The Warlassies fell to 0-3-1 overall. 

This being the second game against Pisgah, Fiest said he put the defense together based on what he had seen in the first game of the season. Though the lineup wasn't traditional, the variance was a strategic move on Fiest's end to counterbalance Pisgah. 

"We were a little out of whack the other night in terms of players playing different positions," Fiest said. "We really moved some things around."

Pisgah forced Owen goal keeper Allison Little into nine saves in the first half. She finished with 17 saves. 

Owen goal keeper Alison Little dives for a ball against Pisgah High on March 16.

"Allison is showing signs of high caliber soccer," Fiest said. "She has one of the best work ethics I've seen in an athlete."

Fiest said Little, a sophomore, has improved immensely since her freshman year. He credited Little with keeping the team in many close games.

Owen had only one shot on goal in the first half, courtesy of a free kick. 

Owen began to push at the start of the second half but wasn't able to score. With 10 minutes left in the game, Pisgah scored the first goal. 

Junior Maesyn Gardner scored Owen's only goal of the game, resulting in a 2-1 loss to Pisgah High.

A few minutes later, Little gave up a penalty kick, clipping a Pisgah attacker's legs on a save attempt in the box. Pisgah converted the PK for a 2-0 lead. 

With 7 minutes left in the game, an Owen free kick led to a goal from junior Maesyn Gardner, drawing the Warlassies to within a goal at 2-1. But they were unable to create an equalizer before the final whistle.

"I set out to really challenge our team this year," Fiest said. "I want to set us up for success in our conference."

Ezra Maille covers the town of Black Mountain, Montreat and the Swannanoa Valley. Reach him at 828-230-3324 or emaille@blackmountainnews.com. Please support local journalism with access to more breaking news by subscribing.