Black Mountain Recreation department hosts winter activity series
The Black Mountain Recreation and Parks department announced the return of the Cabin Fever Defeater series of winter activities for January and February.
"In its second year, the Cabin Fever Defeater Series hopes to get people of all ages outdoors once again during this winter season," the department said in a statement.
The 2022 series plans to feature hikes of varying difficulties, indoor rock climbing and riverbank cleanups around town parks and greenways. Registration for hiking and cleanup is free and $12 for climbing.
The full schedule is as follows:
- Jan. 5: Riverbank Cleanup at Riverwalk Park
- Jan. 7: Hike at Rumbling Bald
- Jan. 12: Indoor Rock Climbing
- Jan. 14: Hike to High Windy
- Jan. 19: Riverbank Cleanup at Flat Creek Greenway
- Jan. 21: Hike at Ridgecrest
- Jan. 26: Indoor Rock Climbing
- Jan. 29: High to Rocky Knob in Christmount
- Feb. 2: Riverbank Cleanup at Veterans Park
- Feb. 5: Hike to Bald Knob
Given the possible wintery conditions of trails, the recreation department will provide hikers with boot crampons if necessary. Also unique to this second year, the series will feature two hikes on weekend dates.
In an effort to combat COVID-19, the department says it will limit group sizes to 15 or fewer participants and encourage social distancing. Registration will be required for every program, and participants will have to pass a brief COVID-19 screening.
Registration for each program has been open since Dec. 6. For more information or to sign up, visit bmrp.recdesk.com/Community/Program or call 828-669-2052.