Valley Rewind: Lumber company
In celebration of Labor Day, this month the Swannanoa Valley Museum and History Center is highlighting photos from its collections that feature working people of the Swannanoa Valley. In this circa 1913 photo from the museum’s extensive photograph collections, employees of the Bee Tree Lumber Company have paused their work to pose for the camera. The Craggy Lumber Company was established in the Bee Tree community in 1903 and was replaced by the Bee Tree Lumber Company in 1910. The company maintained its own company store, camp kitchen and boarding house for its workers. The company operated until 1916, when the great flood of that year destroyed most of its mill.