Valley Rewind: Cherry Street, 1924
This photograph from the Swannanoa Valley Museum & History Center's extensive archives shows a view down Cherry Street, Black Mountain in 1924. The building on the far left was built ca 1920, and was originally Winfred Hall's clothing store. In the mid-1930s, Frank Groves operated his shoe store out of the building. At the time this photograph was taken the north side of the building was home to Valentine Avena's real estate office. The south side housed the town's chamber of commerce offices. The building on the right-hand side of the image housed the offices of Mount Mitchell Motor Road. The Mount Mitchell Motor Road, which opened in 1922, allowed travelers to drive from Black Mountain to Camp Alice, near Mount Mitchell. Today, the building on the far left houses Element Tree Naturals and the building on the right houses Visions of Creation.