Valley Rewind: North Fork School ghost
A Swannanoa Valley ghost drifted into this circa 1895 photograph of the old North Fork School and cemetery. For more Swannanoa Valley ghosts, join us for our Haunted Valley Rally on Oct. 23 and Oct 24 - a historic and ghostly driving tour of the Swannanoa Valley. More information at swannanoavalleymuseum.org/event.
Before the city of Asheville took over the North Fork Valley for its watershed, there were at least three different school buildings at the south end of the Burnett Reservoir. According to Robert and Joan Goodson in their book, "On the North Fork," this photograph shows the north end of the second North Fork School as well as part of the cemetery that had to be moved when the valley was flooded. The tree-stump grave marker in the foreground was placed by the Woodmen of the World in memory of Grover Patton.